Make me to know your ways, O Lord; teach me your paths. Lead me in your truth and teach me, for you are the God of my salvation; for you I wait all the day long. Psalm 25:4-5

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

When Your Suffering Seems to Great

Ok, so trying to really understand all that Job's friend Eliphaz is saying as a way to try to help Job after this time of crisis in his life. It has taken me a little while and I have been rereading the passage the last couple of days. Nothing highlighted in pink, but definitely some deeper passages.
From what I can understand, Eliphaz has come to Job telling him that it is because of some secret sin in his life that he has had such tragedy befall his household. The key verse in chapter 4, I believe is verse 17, which says, "Can mortal man be in the right before God? Can a man be pure before his Maker?" Obviously, the answer is yes and no. I say this because I do believe that when we come to God confessing our sins and turning from them to do what is right, we are then right and pure before God. Do I believe it lasts? No. We are sinners. Can we be forever pure and right in the eyes of God? No. Not while we are living on this sin cursed earth. Eliphaz is basically saying that if Job accepts his situation as God's discipline on his life then he will be spared any further trouble and will live to be a "ripe old age" (5:26).
I do not believe that bad things come into our lives as consequences of sin all the time. Do I believe that the consequences of sin are devastating on our lives? Yes. But I do not believe that God always brings us through the hard times as a result of sin. We know the back story to Job. We know that before God he was called blameless. Obviously, in the life of Job the tragedy was not because of sin, but rather as a time of testing to see if his faith would hold steadfast.
Job responds to his friend, Eliphaz in chapters 6-7. He longs to die in hopes of alleviating his suffering. And in 6:10 says, "...I have not denied the words of the Holy One." Referring to the fact that he has not concealed a sin as his friends suggest he did.
In chapter 7, Job turns to God. He feels his suffering is too great for him and he loathes his life. Have you ever been to this place? Have you ever felt that the pain and suffering you were experiencing in your life was too great? I know many have. I have been there when my mom passed away. It is so easy to get into a depression of sorts when you are at such a low point in your life. Keep your focus on God when hard times come and you feel you cannot go on anymore. God is still there with an outstretched arm ready to pull from the sea of suffering when you feel like you are drowning. Cling to God during those times. It is only then that you will find your way out and you will experience joy in the midst of suffering.

No comments: