Make me to know your ways, O Lord; teach me your paths. Lead me in your truth and teach me, for you are the God of my salvation; for you I wait all the day long. Psalm 25:4-5

Thursday, October 18, 2012

But God Meant it for Good.

Genesis 46-50

I just want to park on this topic for a little bit. I did not get to highlight much in pink today as the book of Genesis came to a close with the death of both Israel (Jacob) and Joseph. In 50:20a Joseph responds to his brothers who have come asking for forgiveness by saying, "As for you, you meant evil against me, but God meant it for good..."

We were able to see so clearly how Joseph could have looked at his many different situations where he probably dealt with feelings of rejection, fear, betrayal, etc. But he did not let that stop him. He seemed to always know God had a plan even when times of trial seemed long. I am sure he felt like he would never get out of the prison. He had a moment of anticipation when the cupbearer was released and he hoped that he would be remembered. But the cupbearer forgot! So, he was left to wait even longer before finally being released and oh how God used him!

Can we say that we have the same attitude towards those who do evil towards us? Probably not. Our normal reaction is to get even or to say wrong things about those people. But is that the right attitude? It does not say what Joseph might have thought in his heart, but he seemed submissive to whatever situation God placed him in. Let's strive to have the heart of Joseph and to remember that when people do us wrong, God has a plan and a purpose for everything!


No comments: