Make me to know your ways, O Lord; teach me your paths. Lead me in your truth and teach me, for you are the God of my salvation; for you I wait all the day long. Psalm 25:4-5

Monday, September 24, 2012

Submitting to Our Husbands Authority

Genesis 10-11 is basically giving the family line of Noah's sons, (Shem, Ham, and Japheth) and giving the account of God confusing the languages of those in Babel and then dispersing those people across the earth.

At the end of chapter 11 it gives a list of the generations of Shem. I was able to highlight something interesting here. This genealogy mentions daughters! Unfortunately, I am not exactly sure why. It might have something to do with the introduction of Abram and Sarai at the end of chapter 11. Terah was the father of Abram (later known as Abraham), and Abram married Sarai who was actually Abram's half sister (same father, not the same mother). An interesting note about Sarai is that as soon as the Bible mentions her, it also mentions that she is barren. The Bible does not say she could not conceive, it simply says she had no child.

Of course, I decided to park here for a little bit. Those who are close to my husband and I understand the trial that we went through a few years ago. We struggled to get pregnant. I am sure it was not Sarai's choice that she did not have a child. We know this from later on in the book of Genesis. No woman wants to find out that she is barren. Anyway, children are a gift from God and are included in the very first commandment (be fruitful and multiply!). I could totally relate with Sarai! I had no child! I remembered reading this when we were trying to have a baby a few years ago and finding comfort knowing we were not alone. But the story continues.....

In chapter 12 the Lord tells Abram that he will make of him a great nation. The Lord also tells him that he will give the land (Canaan) to Abram's offspring. I am sure Abram shared this with his wife, I am sure it gave her hope as well. That was the point in the story where I stopped being able to relate with Sarai a few years back! In my mind, I did not have that hope. I did not have a promise from God about my offspring. But I was seriously misled. You see, I allowed myself to get frustrated and give up so to speak on having children. I tried on my own to find out what was wrong with me and my husband. I turned to doctors and I turned away from trusting God. I also stressed about it. None of that helped my situation. What I should have done was fully put my trust in God. If that meant that my "offspring" would come from adopting a child, then so be it. I should have just let God take control instead of trying to figure things out on my own.

Thankfully, what I didn't know was that God was trying to teach me this lesson. While at the fertility clinic getting set up to begin treatments once my next cycle began, God had already decided to bless us. I was at the clinic with no hope, and I was already pregnant! We serve an awesome God!
If you are in a similar situation, don't give up hope. God may be trying to teach you something. Trust him! Follow his plan! Don't stress, just trust that God has a perfect timing for everything (as we will see later on in the story of Abram and Sarai).

The other day I wrote about following our husbands leadership. At the end of chapter 12 we see how Sarai followed her husbands leadership even in a tough situation. In verse 11 Abram and Sarai are entering Egypt and Abram asks Sarai to tell the Egyptians that she is Abram's sister. This isn't a total lie as I mentioned before. She really was Abram's half sister. But as we all learned when we were little a partial lie is still what? A lie. Sarai was beautiful and Abram was fearful that he would be killed by the Egyptians if he said she was his wife. Yes, this was a low point in Abram's life (proof that even though we are sinners God can still use us). But there is no account of Sarai arguing with Abram. No account of her suggesting they do otherwise. Just simply an account of her obedience as Abram's wife. So, what happened? The princes of Pharaoh saw Sarai and they praised her to Pharaoh. They treated Abram very well, BUT....the Lord afflicted Pharaoh and his house with great plagues. Pharaoh knew what Abram had done and they sent both Abram and Sarai away.

Do our husbands always make the best decisions? No. This story was a rebuke to me. I have this one problem that my husband will quickly admit is right...sometimes I say too much. Sometimes I speak when I shouldn't. Sometimes I add my two cents where it doesn't belong and forget to let my husband lead. Sarai is a beautiful example of a woman who followed her husbands lead even when it wasn't the best and wasn't right. When we stand before Christ we will not be responsible for how we lead our families, we will be responsible for how we followed our husbands and submitted to their authority. It is our husbands who will be responsible for how they led their families. We need to remember this and we need to allow our husbands to lead. Does that mean that it would have been wrong for Sarai to have spoken up in this situation and said that it would not be right to lie? I don't necessarily think so, but if Abram asked her to follow him even after she mentioned this, then it would have been wrong for her to do otherwise I think. What are your thoughts?? It is an interesting situation. What would you have done in Sarai's shoes? I would love to hear your feedback on this topic.

No comments: