Make me to know your ways, O Lord; teach me your paths. Lead me in your truth and teach me, for you are the God of my salvation; for you I wait all the day long. Psalm 25:4-5

Thursday, September 19, 2013

Hannah's Prayer

We have all been there. At a place where our situations are so great and so overwhelming and so out of our control that we are left defeated and bowed at the feet of the only One who is in control and who is greater than our situation. Whether that is due to a sickness or death of a loved one, a job  situation, a wayward friend or loved one, a longing for something, or any sort of upcoming life change we have all come to the feet of Jesus, pouring out our hearts, crying out to the One who is over it all. 
Hannah is remembered for one such time. Hannah was one of two wives of Elkanah. His other wife, Peninnah, had children. It is not clear how many, but she was a fruitful woman and had many sons and daughters. Every year when Elkanah would go up to the Temple to sacrifice and worship he would give portions to Peninnah and her children and to Hannah he would give a double portion because he loved her. Peninnah was a jealous woman. So she would provoke Hannah grievously trying to irritate her because Hannah could not have children. The Bible mentions that this would happen year after year! Can you imagine? I know many women who have struggled to have children. I can't imagine the agony that this would have caused Hannah on top of being barren. I can only imagine the thoughts that were going through her mind. Feeling like a failure as a woman for not being able to have a child. We need to be careful as women to watch our tongues. Peninnah is only known for having a cutting and biting tongue. 
Hannah had a burden so great she would not eat or drink and it brought her to tears. Her husband tried to console her, but Hannah rose and went to the Temple. She sat right outside the door to the Temple and prayed to God and wept bitterly! Here was a woman completely broken after so many years of putting up with Peninnah's cutting words and so many years of not being able to give birth to a child. Knowing the Holy Spirit dwelt in the Temple during this time, she went as close as she possibly could to the feet of God and poured her heart out to Him in prayer. 
And she vowed a vow and said, “O Lord of hosts, if you will indeed look on the affliction of your servant and remember me and not forget your servant, but will give to your servant a son, then I will give him to the Lord all the days of his life, and no razor shall touch his head.”
Hannah made a promise to God. And she continued to pray. She was so caught up in her prayer to God that Eli, the priest, came and saw her eyes closed and lips moving but not uttering a sound and he thought she was drunk! He commanded her to give up her wine! But she answered Eli and told him that she was not drunk, but rather a woman troubled in spirit who was pouring her soul out to the Lord.
Then Eli answered, “Go in peace, and the God of Israel grant your petition that you have made to him.” And she said, “Let your servant find favor in your eyes.” Then the woman went her way and ate, and her face was no longer sad.
Hannah found peace and comfort at the feet of her Lord. She was able to eat and drink. She had given her burden to God and she knew everything was going to turn out ok. 
So, what happened to Hannah? Well, the next morning they woke up early and worshipped before the Lord, then when they came home, Hannah and Elkanah loved each other and she conceived and in due time gave birth to a son who she named Samuel. 
I do not know what burden you are carrying around today, but I know the God who does! I know the God who can take your burden and carry it upon His shoulders for you! I know the God who is in control of every circumstance and situation you might be facing! I know the God who is strong enough to give you peace through the hardest of hardships! 
My God says, "Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.” Matt 11:28-30
Fall at the feet of the one who can carry your burden today! Let us be like Hannah and bring our cares to Christ daily! Let us be remembered as prayer warriors, just as Hannah is remembered. If you want a closer relationship with your creator you need to communicate with Christ daily! 

No comments: