Make me to know your ways, O Lord; teach me your paths. Lead me in your truth and teach me, for you are the God of my salvation; for you I wait all the day long. Psalm 25:4-5

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

A Skilled Woman with a Heart to Do God's Work!

While reading along in Exodus, I have been intrigued at all of the detail that has gone into the Tabernacle. God requested things be done a certain way with such detail! It is truly amazing! And after hearing my Pastor's sermon on Sunday morning about heaven it just makes me wonder....if so much detail was put into the Tabernacle here on earth....I can't even imagine what heaven is going to be like! We are so limited in our understanding and our material here on earth. Anyway, as I was reading along at the requirements for Aaron's garments and for the curtains, and even the items that are to go inside the Tabernacle I began thinking of those who had the honored privilege of constructing such beautifully intricate things for God! I would imagine these people had a heart to serve. Just as much as Aaron or Moses. And then, when I got to chapter 35 of Exodus I read these verses!

(20-23) Then all the congregation of the people of Israel departed from the presence of Moses. And they came, everyone whose heart stirred him, and everyone whose spirit moved him, and brought the Lord's contribution to be used for the tent of meeting, and for all its service, and for the holy garments. So they came both men and women. All who were of a willing heart brought brooches and earrings and signet rings and armlets, and all sorts of gold objects, every man dedicating an offering of gold to the Lord. And everyone who possessed blue or purple or scarlet yarns or fine linen or goats' hair or tanned rams' skins or goatskins brought them. (25-26) And every skillful woman spun with her hands, and they all brought what they had spun in blue and purple and scarlet yarns and fine twined linen. All the women whose hearts stirred them to use their skill spun the goats' hair. (29) All the men and women, the people of Israel, whose heart moved them to bring anything for the work that the Lord had commanded by Moses to be done brought it as a freewill offering to the Lord.

Sure, we attend church, and we know there are women who serve in many different area's of the church. We each have a different skill that we can bring to God's house and give to Him to use for His honor and glory! But, are we doing what we are supposed to be doing with a willing heart? Are we doing what we are doing because our heart's were stirred? Do we have a skill that God gave us that we are not using simply because we don't see how in the world it could be used? When was the last time your heart was stirred to use a skill that God had given you to give back to God as a freewill offering? I love artsy crafty things. I can't say I am necessarily good at them, but I do enjoy them. I can't imagine having the skill that these women possessed that they were able to use in such a way to give back to God and help to build/construct the Tabernacle! What an honor and what a privilege.

I also think of all the possessions that these women had. Some near and dear to their hearts no doubt, that they were willing to give to God! Wow! I have some special treasures of my own. I would be honest when I say that to give them to God would be difficult, but if the opportunity arose I would like to think that I could do that! My challenge for myself after reading this is to search my heart and know that if God called upon me to give up any of my possessions here on earth that I would do so in a heart beat with a heart that was willing. Also, to be searching for certain skills/gifts that God has specifically equipped me with that I can use to give back to Him in a special way and use for His honor and glory! May we all be willing women with hearts stirred to use our talents and gifts and skills for God!!

No comments: